My good friend

We used to be good friends. The best of friends really. The kind of friends that wake up before anyone else is awake and start whispering about what the new day might hold. 

The kind of friends that spend every day with each other but never grow tired of each others company. 

The kind of friends that one would think will always stay friends, no matter what. 

I remember a day you and I spent at the playground. It was a hot summer day and we were playing with an old waterpump that had been there for as long as I could remember. 
The water ran down between sand and small rocks, sometimes faster other times slower. At the end it formed a pool that was both refreshing and fascinating. We forgot time. 
I came home way too late that day. My mother wasn’t pleased. But it was a great day spent with the best of friends. 

There was another time, we were older then, and playing with a cat. The cutest little thing that kept us entertained with its tricks and never grew tired of our company. We could spend hours playing together and it would never get old. Not to us anyway. 

But we became older. Somehow, slowly but surely, we lost sight of each other. What used to be every hour of every day became once a day, then every other day. 
With every loss, every painful experience and every hope crushed we became more and more estranged. 

I remember another day. I hadn’t seen you for a while but I recognized you right away. We spent the whole day at the beach, hunting for the most beautiful shell, observing tiny, colourful fish and climbing small hills by the seaside. It was a beautiful day. One that I will remember forever. 

But the friendship I once thought would last a lifetime turned into an acquaintance. I had put my guards up and I kept myself so busy with things that seemed important at the time. It kept me from spending time with you. 

It has been a while since you and I met. Too long, to be quiet honest. 

But today I saw you in the eyes of my 2 year old who was looking at a rock. In her eyes the plain, white rock slowly turned into a diamond - because she looked at it with a good friend. With you, Curiousity. 


Kommentarer

Populære innlegg fra denne bloggen

The meadow

I met a little girl ...